Tuesday, March 18, 2008

K.eep I.t S.imple S.illy!



K.I.S.S. , known as the KISS principle this little bit of age old wisdom should be applied to all things theatrical, but especially to costuming. As I have already outlined in my Authentic vs. Believable article on period costumes, simple is often the best way to go.

Here are two simple ideas I picked up from our friends at Jones High School. First we have a very simple skirt made with a piece of colored touille and a silk ribbon at the waist. It simply ties and the touille gives it plenty of body for a tutu like feel. The structure of the touille makes hemming unnecessary so this project requires very little sewing and made excellent skirts for Oberon's fairies from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Second, the problem of creating animal costumes for humans has plagued many drectors. Here is a simple solution for Bottom, who has been cursed with the head of a donkey. A black ski mask covered in Faux fur with two large ears protruding from the top gives just the right touch. Of course it can't compare with a full-blown donkey head, but this one won't break the bank and is easy to act in.

Got great ideas like these? Take a photo and send them along with basic instructions to Dramorama ideas c/o Mark @ Markrmorris2@sbcglopbal.net.

1 comment:

Telefone VoIP said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Telefone VoIP, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-voip.blogspot.com. A hug.